6 December 2010

THE KIT

I've completed the full concrete 'kit', some of which came out a lot rougher than I had anticipated, but it feels a lot more authentic, each with their own character just as a real building would have. The more I work with the shapes the more I get involved with the idea, I love the notion of simplifying a typeface down to its bare minimal elements; its building blocks. I can't help but feel it embodies elements of bauhaus approach, as does a lot of my work and design ethos; simplifying an object to its bare functional qualities. The sharp lines and concrete also feel add to its modernist, brutalist architectural feel. The blocks all feel just as I intended, using concrete to mould them has given them a brilliant quality, they feel very permanent and dense; highlighting the architectural link which a different construction method wouldn't have had. The whole process of making them was also strangely satisfying, the idea that just  a powder mixture can combine with water to create something so solid and permanent. Perhaps this solid permanent element is what has been driving me to create something so different, because to me it feels more substantial than 2D graphics created digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment