25 November 2010

ARCHITECTURAL SCULPTURE

I used plaster to sculpt a typographic piece that would let me explore the idea of architecture and type first hand, with a stone-like tactile element to it. It also allows me to play with crops and the way light interacts with the structures. The idea was to choose structural look letterforms to most mirror that of a building, so only straight lines and strong shapes, blurred together.

I like the final sculpture as it gives the type a real presence and sense of architectual solidity that I want from the final piece. Although I think I'd still like to create something out of concrete, it's a recurring part of my work on this project so far and feel its an important aspect to the brutalist style of architecture I was initially drawn to, and really yearn to re create in a different form.

The sculpture has been a good way of exploring this route, and although doesn't quite have the characteristics I'm after, I now know that creating a physical sculpture, and then capturing it photographically is the process I want to use.

To me capturing something photographically re creates the object again, in a different way, rather than simply presenting a sculpture or object, a camera gives me another chance to re mould it and present it exactly the way I want it to be viewed. Perhaps this is the designer in me, whereas a fine artist may let their work be more open for interpretation, I want to frame and present it in a precise manner.







No comments:

Post a Comment