14 October 2010

JUST MORE THOUGHTS

I found there was often two levels of 'shape' within the structures I photographed. The overall shape of the building, and then strong reoccurring shapes within the building also i.e. windows, doors, textures, patterns, signage.

I found myself constantly drawn to concrete structures. Those with clear brutalist influences. Buildings such as the Hayward gallery were so impressive and domineering in landscape, strong harsh shapes and sharp edges. Although the building was similar all over in colour, the sharp edges and angles meant light and shadows clearly divided the buildings sections and walkways.

Not sure why I'm drawn to the concrete structures so much, possibly because it's such an extreme? Both a harsh texture and shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment