1 November 2010

REBUILDING

I decided to rebuild the bare lines that I reduced my photos down to, in order to create a harsher contrast between the elements of the structure, and create even stronger shapes.

The aesthetics of this style are much more in line with the type of imagery I'm attempting to produce. But where this then goes, I don't know. Visually it's striking, and an interesting interpretation of a large 3d structure, in a 2D format. I feel it captures certain elements of viewing these structures in person as well as I can in this media.

I like the aesthetics of  the images. But they don't really serve any purpose, they're interesting to me, but where are they taking me, what direction does my reaction to them take me? So I like them, but they're monochrome interpretations of buildings, which is a pretty safe bet with me. The process is the key here perhaps. Photography converted to 2D imagery. I feel the 2D imagery needs converting into something else. Something more. Normally, I'd probably stop here, and maybe do a few more, make them into posters, put them with typography or something similar. But I want to make something more of this project, this feels so flat at the moment. Is this how I normally work? Two dimensional graphics, maybe it is.

This unit of work is happening at a rather poignant time for me career development-wise. As I'm reflecting upon all the work I'm doing, and how I work, all that is at the front of my mind is that I don't want to just be another graphic designer, knocking out brochures all day for companies. This frustration is driving me quite a lot on this project, it's manifesting itself in a want for MORE! More what, I don't know.




No comments:

Post a Comment